Thursday, July 17, 2008

Starstruck

At the end of June I awoke one lazy Sunday morning to two missed calls, a voicemail, and a text message. It was Beth. She was out at the Tarheel Triple Classic Quarter Horse Show and needed four horses done -- three braided, one banded. I called her back and got the necessary details. She was stalled in Barn A, on the side facing the road, "High Point Performance Horses." THE High Point Performance Horses? Charlie and Jason's High Point Performance Horses? I was pretty giddy to be braiding for such a high-caliber barn. I did two horses the first day -- a bay named Must Be A Detail and gray mare, Exotic Investment. They were wonderful -- both stood calm and quietly, their manes were pulled and shortened perfectly and they both braided up really well. When I got home, just for kicks, I looked them up online and realized that the bay horse I had done had, oh, you know, WON THE WORLD and was, you know, HIGH POINT HUS HORSE IN THE NATION!!!! And the Beth who called was Beth Case, who has won the World and Congress numerous times and who rides one of my all-time favorite HUS horses, Zee Yellow Jacket. She was nice and all, but it was the big bay gelding who truly had me starstruck!

No comments: